There are several software apps out there that claim they have the ability to track exactly who stops by a Facebook page. None of them can do this. Some of the apps can watch for trends in a user’s profile and determine who has clicked likes, shared posts or written comments, but if someone out there is just looking at a person’s profile, they are invisible. Every once in a while, there is an app that finds a way to bypass the Facebook privacy settings and starts to gather this information. As soon as Facebook learns of this, they shut the site/app down.
Third Party Apps
Third party apps can be used to track the number of hits a Facebook page receives. There are several of them out there, but users need to be careful about which one they choose. If the app is asking for Facebook login information, it is a good idea to avoid it. Some of these apps are hackers looking for easy access to Facebook accounts.
For the common user, apps found in Facebook will most likely be safe and free. For businesses, it may be a better idea to use a corporate tracker site, like Webtrends. These are paid services, but for those companies that need to track the demographics of those visiting their Facebook page, it is a good site to use.
Some users may decide that they would rather just do the work themselves and not count on a third party app. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to write HTML as there are plenty of sites out there that will do the coding.
- Log in to the Facebook account
- Type HTML in the apps box. A drop down list of apps will appear. Select one, such as “Static HTML for pages.”
- Follow the instructions to install the app.
- Go to a site, such as Statcounter.com, and follow the simple directions on how to get the HTML code to place on the Facebook page. Copy the code and paste into the app you installed. Then log on to the site find out how many people have visited the Facebook page.
Combine the Two
It’s pretty much a given that Google’s Analytics is one of the best, if not the best, free analytical tool on the market. It can be used to track a Facebook page.
- Create a Google Analytics account.
- Create a profile for the Facebook page.
- Set up tracking images.
- Follow the steps provided in the “HTML Counter” section of this article.
Once those steps have been completed, the user can access Google Analytics to view the number of hits, locations and even browser types of visitors to the Facebook page.
Another app that can be downloaded is FBGAT. This page allows the user to download the tool and has several links to help the user through the installation process.
Facebook privacy is getting harder to define with each passing year. As apps and games require more information from the user, it is becoming increasingly difficult to protect Facebook pages. Under no circumstance should a user install an app that requires Facebook login information. That is against Facebook policy and is a tell that the app is managed by a hacker.