Find a Provider
Delete Facebook Games
Facebook has slowly been creeping its way into the gaming space. Using its platform to not just connect people, but let them laugh, play, and puzzle amongst each other when it suits them.
Every game requires access to the user’s info to play, so it can suggest friends, save progress, display pictures, and maybe even celebrate your victories. We all grow tired of games, or maybe it just doesn’t suit our tastes the way we thought it would. To get rid of constant notifications from a game you no longer play, or to stop it from accessing your data–you can always always delete and block the game.
Technically these games are apps and subject each player to a “Users End Agreement.” You won’t terminate that agreement, but you can get rid of the app itself. Note that most apps will still have certain access to profile information, settings, or posting rights agreed upon by the user.
To remove any app from the account:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click the gear symbol at the top right of your home page.
- Select “Account Settings,” in the drop down menu.
- Select “Apps,” in the column on the left hand side.
- Click on the “X” to the right of any game or app to remove it.
From here a confirmation window will appear asking if you really want to delete that specified app.
A few things to note before you delete any given app:
- If the user wants to remove all activity from the account and the app itself, select the check-box at the bottom of the delete confirmation window.
- If the box remains empty, all content that has already been posted will remain–but no new information will be added.
- In the user end license agreement that you “agreed” to when you signed up for the app–there’s typically a clause stating that information taken from the app may be stored with the company that supports the app.
- Any information already received from the account will remain with the app maker and company unless the user contacts the vendor, or company, directly and asks the vendor to remove it.
- After deleting or removing an app and all of its permissions–no new information will be stored or collected.
- Check the box at the bottom of the confirmation window.
- Click the “Remove” button.
Block Facebook Games
Removing a game keeps additional information from being collected, but often the information already in use will continue to send you pesky notifications or action cards.
In some cases, Blocking is useful if the user wants to continue to play, but doesn’t want the app to post everything on the user’s pages. When there is a posting from a game or app that you do not want to see, simply pass the mouse to the upper right of the posting. A drop-down menu will appear. Click the drop-down arrow. Select the “Hide…” option.
If a user decides he wants the app back or that he wishes to remove the block, simply access the game again or go to the Facebook Help Center to find the easiest way to restore all app permissions and agreements.
Paul Williams brings a wide range of experiences to his writing. He worked extensively in technology, as a software engineer, technical writer, and now a technology writer. Known as the leader of one of the top American Spacerock bands, his forward-looking music continues to be heard all over the world.