Cox is the third largest cable entertainment and broadband provider in the country. One of the many services Cox offers is the ability to perform a Cox speed test on its customer’s machines. The tool is designed specifically to work with a Cox network connection. Note, however, that the speed test is not designed to work with any of Apple’s iDevices.
Accessing the Cox Speed Test
Go to your Cox “My Connection” page and sign in. Then perform the following steps:
- Click “My Account” and select “Internet Speed Check” from the drop-down menu.
- Click the “Change Market” market link if you want to find a server closer to your location.
- Click the “Check Speed” button to begin the test.
- Once the test is complete, you can click the “View past results” to view up to 25 past speed tests.
- Click the “What do these measurements mean?” link to expand the page so you can view the definitions of your results.
Results will vary if you are not connected to the Cox network, especially if you are using WiFi hotspots or using a smart phone to create the Internet connection. These types of connections will be slower since they are not directly connected to the Cox network. Firewalls such as those from Microsoft Windows, Symantec, McAfee, and others will produce incorrect results from the Speed Check tool.
Another Speed Test Tool
Bandwidth Place is easily accessible and works with all Internet connected devices, including:
- and more
Simply go the BandwidthPlace.com website and click the “Start” button.
You should check the speed of your Internet connection often. Selecting different servers at different times of the day will help you to figure out when Internet traffic is the lightest. Also, run bandwidth-heavy applications and then run the speed test. These few things will help to isolate the best times to use the Internet and which applications you should have closed when trying to stream a movie or download very large files.